Home About Recipes Artisans Blog Notes Resources

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Jacqueline's Bagels


Related posts:

Jacqueline's notes
  • Scaling to 250 grams of total flour yields 4 bagels of approximately 100g each.
  • Shaped bagels may be cold-fermented for up to 48 hours, before boiling and baking.
  •  Before baking, simmer bagels in water for 45 seconds on one side, 45 seconds on the other. While wet, set bagels face down in a plate of sesame seeds, to thoroughly coat one side of each bagel with seeds.
  • Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes. They're done when they begin to blush like peaches.
My notes
  • Jacqueline bakes bagels weekly to try and perfect her routine.
  • For reasons I can't fathom, I seem to have lost the pictures and videos I took of said routine except for this one:
  • Jacqueline sent me on my trek back home (I had a very long layover somewhere between Chicago and Seattle) with several homemade treats, including one of these plump little breads. It brought back memories of our life back in New York when we had fresh bagels from an old-fashioned artisan bagel store every Saturday and Sunday. When the baker retired and sold to a chain, the bagels stopped (for us). Thank you Jacqueline for making me a Proustian bagel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Designed by: Deanna @ Design Chicky